Calvary Baptist Church established
Calvary Baptist Church was established in State College, Pennsylvania in 1955. The effort was initiated by just one young couple, Dick and Jean Reed, from a Baptist General Conference (BGC) church in Pennsylvania, who were living in State College. With help from the pastor of a BGC church in Lanse, PA, and from the Director of Missions of the Middle East Baptist Conference (MEBC), a church planter was sent to State College in June 1955.
Darrell Eddy, a recent seminary graduate, was given financial support by the MEBC and the BGC. After three weeks of door-to-door calling and contacts with a few evangelical Christians in the community, Rev. Eddy advertised the first Sunday Evening worship service of Calvary Baptist Church to be held on July 10, 1955. The service was held in Woodman Hall, a rented building, which was to become the home of the church for nine years. The attendance at that first service was eighteen.
Church services continued from that time forward but growth was very slow. Woodman Hall was not available on Sunday morning and neither the public schools nor Penn State University would accommodate church services. After some increase in attendance, and attempts to hold a morning service in a store building, the average attendance again fell below twenty. Pastor Eddy resigned to enter foreign missionary service in January 1957.